Wednesday, March 04, 2009

[For Free] Sita Sings The Blues



Featured in last year's edition of Animation Nation, I missed Sita Sings The Blues because I was away for TIFF. Not knowing when I could have a chance to experience what Roger Ebert has described as "astonishingly original", given that there were some issues with the music license that would prevent a commercial distribution, I was quite surprised when the film is now offered for FREE.

Here's what writer-director Nina Paley states on the film's official website
I hereby give Sita Sings the Blues to you. Like all culture, it belongs to you already, but I am making it explicit with a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License. Please distribute, copy, share, archive, and show Sita Sings the Blues. From the shared culture it came, and back into the shared culture it goes.

You don't need my permission to copy, share, publish, archive, show, sell, broadcast, or remix Sita Sings the Blues. Conventional wisdom urges me to demand payment for every use of the film, but then how would people without money get to see it? How widely would the film be disseminated if it were limited by permission and fees? Control offers a false sense of security. The only real security I have is trusting you, trusting culture, and trusting freedom.

For more details, head on down to the official website.

Watch Sita Sings The Blues for free via:
Streaming: http://www.thirteen.org/sites/reel13/blog/watch-sita-sings-the-blues-online/347/
Download: http://www.archive.org/details/Sita_Sings_the_Blues

and of course a donation to the filmmaker would never hurt!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...