Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Detective (C+ Jing Taam)

I Spy With My Little Eye


I got a production flyer of this movie from the HKIFF FILMART in March earlier this year, and the gritty look does make it very compelling to watch, especially when you have a Heavenly King Aaron Kwok in the lead role. Filmed mainly in Thailand with a very Thai production crew, Oxide Pang brings back some memories of his and his brother's earlier work Bangkok Dangerous. I thought this could work without the supernatural bit thrown in, and in actuality, constituted a very minute part in the overall run time. However, that would make it a pretty plain detective noir film.

The opening song, Me Panda, is one of the best songs which gel and provides the necessary energy to start off a movie, and not since Inside Man's Chaiyya Chaiyya had I grooved to the beat. Excellent sound design, no doubt migrated from the Pang Brother's horror skillset, helped enhance the enjoyment too.

To read my review of The Detective at movieXclusive.com, click on the logo below:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...