Saturday, May 18, 2013

Life's Priorities

This is one of those rare blog entries that isn't a film review. I've done that in the past, but those were few and far between.

I thought I could carry this on indefinitely, writing these reviews for pleasure, which had opened some incredible doors for the good part of my life in the past decade or so. The galas, the premieres, the parties, the festivals, and best of all, getting to meet and know a lot of people from all corners of the globe, some of whom I have the privilege of knowing on a personal level, and proud to call them friends. And to do a stock take and look back, it's been one heck of a ride, and I'm thankful for everything that had happened, both the good (that made this life journey interesting) and the bad (hopefully brought out some character).

These are memories that are cherished, but alas there comes a point in time when one has to refocus on life's priorities. Stop and smell the roses so to speak. Where from out of the blue came that proverbial bolt of lightning, changing the game in more ways than one. For the good part of this month I was distracted, but in a good way, as I embark on another part of my life with someone I truly care about.

Trance was probably the last proper review that I did, and I'm embarrassed to say the recent ones after that aren't up to the scratch. And I've got an uncharacteristic backlog that should hopefully see the light of day soon.

I'm not totally disappearing, far from it I suppose, but it's nothing quite unexpected as I had seen this coming when I first started out. And like everything one starts, there's got to be a Plan B. I'd say to return to this blog's original intent that never really quite took off, to focus on local films. That Singapore commercial, or more importantly, indie film that is screaming for a chance to be heard, for its place amongst an unforgiving crowd. Let's do that. And I suppose that odd, occasional review from outside this little red dot, if time permits, and for films I feel strongly about, will pop up occasionally.

So see you at the movies. Although this time, I'm likely with someone special in tow, so come up and say Hi!

8 comments:

choonhouteo said...

thanks for all you have done!!! go on and pursue your dreams and what you want

choonhouteo said...

thank you for everything you have done! enjoyed reading it

YTSL said...

Hi Stefan --

When I saw the title for your post pop up on my blog, I thought "Life's Priorities" -- haven't heard of the film but the title makes it sound intriguing...

Then I read your post and... well, part of me is sad and another part of me understands. You have been going at it -- at quite the pace -- for years.

I'd hate to see you stop reviewing completely but have to admit that I'd still be interested in what you have to say about Chinese-language films from other than Singapore. Perhaps you can fit those in too along with the local reviews?

Stefan S said...

@choonhouteo: Thanks

@YTSL: Yes, I'll be doing what I can, but I suppose the frequency won't be too high :-) Still hope to be able to return to HKIFF one day, and we can hang out, talk movies, and Arsenal football club! Happy St Tottenringham's Day btw!

Rita Santos said...

I'm actually sad about this. I've discouvered many oriental movies through your blog. Please don't disappear completely.

Keevo said...

Wow, congrats buddy!!!

This someone special probably shares your passion for movies, yeah? ;)
(and knows what you've been doing these past 6-7 years with your blog creating an impressive amount of reviews, yeah?!)

Unknown said...

hi stephan i am M Malik i also do reviews on imdb..i recently saw fast & furios 6 check out this review and tell me about it.have you seen it yet.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur24340247/comments

Unknown said...

hey stephan have you seen last passenger yet its a great movie i think you should see.let me know what you think of my review here.thanks.below is the link .

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1858481/reviews-8

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...